Skip to content
How Do I...?

Low Income Household Water Assistance Program

The LIHWAP may be able to assist you with overdue water and wastewater bills

What is LIHWAP?

The Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) is a temporary emergency program to help lowincome families pay overdue water bills. LIHWAP is a grant. You do not have to repay it.

To receive help...

Apply starting January 4, 2022.
You don’t have to be on public assistance.
You need to have an unpaid water bill.
You can either rent or own your home.

How does LIHWAP work?

LIHWAP Crisis grants may be available if you have an emergency situation and are in jeopardy of losing your water service. You can receive one Crisis grant for your drinking water service and one Crisis grant for your wastewater service, up to $2,500 each.

Crisis situations include:

Past-due water bills.
Termination of utility service.
Danger of having utility service terminated (received a notice that service will be shut off within the next 60 days).

How do I apply?

Apply online at
Request an application by calling the Statewide Customer Service Center at 877-395-8930 or call PA Relay at 711 for the hearing impaired.
Applications are available at your local county assistance office.

To apply, you will need:

Names of people in your household;
Dates of birth for all household members;
Social Security numbers for all household members;
Proof of income for all household members; and
A recent water bill.

Who is eligible?

You may qualify for a LIHWAP grant if:

You must have an overdue water bill that you are responsible for paying.
Your household income meets the following income guidelines:


Household Size Maximum Annual Income
1 $ 19,320
2 $26,130
3 $32,940
4 $39,750
5 $46,560
6 $53,370
7 $60,180
8 $66,990
9 $73,800
10 $80,610

Each Additional Person Add $ 6,810

After your application is processed, you will receive a written notice that will tell you if you qualify. If eligible, it will tell you the amount of your grant.